top of page

School Admissions

As part of the education system in England you are able to apply for a reception class for any child who turns 4 years old before the 1st of September of that specific year, applications must be completed the year before they are due to start reception class. 

Reception class is not compulsory, however it is compulsory for all children aged 5 to 18, either at school or otherwise, with a child beginning primary education during the school year they turn 5.

If you live in England contact your local council to find:

  • state-funded schools in your area

  • admission criteria for the schools you’re interested in

You can also contact your local council to apply for places at state schools in other areas. You can search online to find schools in England.

Private schools or home schooling

If you’re looking for a place at a private school (also called ‘independent schools’), contact the school directly.

You can also choose to teach your child at home, known as home schooling.

Children with special educational needs (SEN)

If your child has SEN, their Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan will name a school for them. The school must give your child a place.

You can ask your local council to carry out an assessment if you think your child needs additional support with their educational, health and social needs.

Find out about a primary or secondary school

You can find out more by:

  • visiting the school - most schools have open days

  • reading the school’s most recent Ofsted reports

  • checking school performance tables

  • talking to other parents about what they think of the school


The link to the Birmingham city council school applications website is available below. All parents who require additional support in completing the application, please speak to a member of the ILM nursery team.

It is vital that you inform the nursery of any confirmed school places or alternatives, when a decision has been made. 

bottom of page